9.07.2011

4eD LOGO!

When I started my small biz, 4eyesDESIGN, I needed to come up with a logo. I was my own client, which is great, but you still have to set your limitations and approach it like any other design project. With that said, I started out the process by drawing a mind map.                          
Mind map

I wrote down all of the words that came to mind when thinking about this new venture of mine, 4eyesDESIGN, then narrowed my thoughts down to 4 specific ideas that I wanted to incorporate into the logo:

1. the quantity of 4
2. eyes
3. glasses ("four eyes" expression)
4. design

I started sketching ideas one day while at the beach. I didn't have any paper, so I tore out those annoying magazine inserts and drew over any blank space I could find.

Initial sketches
I had something stewing and couldn't wait to get home to dive in! I love designing logos and I was designing my own, which made it even more fun.

Before hopping on the computer I did a few more sketches. I fell in love with one of them and knew it was time to sit down with my laptop.

Final sketches by hand
The design I fell in love with incorporated all four ideas I had from the start: the quantity of 4 and eyes, both self-explanatory......the eyes were within the shape of a "D" for design, which also mimics the shapes of glasses/lenses/frames. BOOM.

I came up with a zillion different versions of the design I liked and started to narrow it down.

Different versions of the design
I wanted to incorporate blue (I have blue eyes) and green and orange are my favorite colors so I played around with different color combinations. I ended up eliminating the orange and going with a color combo I felt was more cohesive, but still very "me".


Now it was time to tie together the logo and text.


When it came to the text, I wanted to keep it simple but not have it feel disjointed from the logo. Looking at "eyes", a four-letter word, it hit me----make each letter one of the eye colors, which tied in the logo perfectly.


The 4eyesDESIGN logo was complete!

Final design

No comments: